Essays on Sexuality and Ethics
J. Martin Stafford: Essays on Sexuality and Ethics
Ten essays, nine of which were originally published in scholarly journals.
1. Hutcheson, Hume and the Ontology of Morals. (1985) - A critique of David Norton's 1982 book David Hume - Common Sense Moralist, Sceptical Metaphysician.
2. Hume, Spencer and the Standard of Morals. (1983)
3. Egoism and Rigorism: Spencer's Resolution of a Moral Paradox. (1995) - not previously published.
4. On distinguishing between Love and Lust. (1977)
5. Love and Lust revisited: Intentionality, Homosexuality and Moral Education. (1988) - A critique of aspects of Roger Scruton's 1986 book Sexual Desire.
6. In Defence of Gay Lessons. (1988)
7. Homosexuality and Education: a reply to Jim Ferguson. (1990)
8. The Two Minds of Roger Scruton. (1991)
9. Public Schools, Private Privilege and Common Sense. (1985) - A defence of independent education.
10. Was Hume's Natural History of Religion inspired by Mandeville's Fable of the Bees Part II? (1995)
xii + 113 pages (royal 8vo), bound in good cloth
ISBN 0 9512594 4 X
Last revised: 30/10/2016